Tuesday 2 July 2019

Equipment Summary 1

Camping equipment:
Kathmandu Mono tent: I love this tent, and for the price it's well worth it. It survived some pretty serious wind and rain, the only time I got wet was when I couldn't peg it out tight enough, and that one time it formed ice on the inside. You cannot sit up in this tent, but this is the case for pretty much every tent this size/weight. I was able to fit my pack inside the tent with me, which is a bonus. The only better tent I saw was George's 2 person tent, which weighed the same as mine but cost €400 ($800nzd hahahaha)
Weight: 1.7kg
Price: $250nzd ($150 on sale - and I'm sure mum would've bought it on sale)

Kathmandu Pathfinder Women's sleeping bag: This is a 3 season down sleeping bag, and it was good enough for what I needed. The night my tent froze (2nd night camping!) I was really cold, wearing thermals, trousers, and polarfleece jacket - this is understandable given that the transition temperature is 0°C (below comfort, above dangerous). This was also a wild camp night, meaning no shower - I have found that I get much colder if I'm not able to get warm and dry before going to bed.
Weight: 0.71kg, and excellent compressed size.
Price $500nzd ($300 on sale - and I definitely only buy on sale)

Generic foam mat: foam mats are still probably the lightest sleeping mats available, but technology is catching up. Self inflating mats are much heavier, but some blow up mats are just about matching the foam ones, and they take up much less space! This is definitely something I will be replacing before my next adventure, but I'll need to save up for it!

Cooking equipment:
This is the pared down final version of my cooking equipment. The Primus stove is lightweight and compact, and while there are more fuel efficient stove/pot combinations coming into the market, such as the Jetboil, but I found this sufficient.
For most of the trip I used matches, but eventually these got wet (dumbass) and I had to borrow some. When I got to Fort William I invested in a Light My Fire firesteel. It's a little bit tricky to get enough sparks to light a gas stove, but you feel so badass doing it that I persisted, and after a couple days was able to do it first try.
The other thing I bought at Fort William was a silicone folding bowl. I had been using a small melamine bowl, when I didn't eat directly from the pot, but it took up a lot of room when I packed it inside the pot, and was really too small to be useful! The silicone bowl has a plastic base, so can be used as a chopping board, and folds out to 400mL - making it almost as big as the pot. I can definitely recommend.
I prefer separate cutlery, as opposed to a spork or other combo device, and I'd advise against plastic as it will only break at some inconvenient moment (sorry Adam!)
The final item was my yellow mug! This received some chuckles on its journey, but I wouldn't give it up for the world. Though you can get less space-consuming cups, I held onto this mug that I've been using since I was about 5 years old. You can tell I've had it that long because my name is written on it in my mother's handwriting, with a little smiley face. I refuse to be embarrassed, love you Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment