Saturday 15 June 2019

Drymen to Rowardennan

What a day!

I finally got to feel that enthusiasm for my challenge again today, after the last few have seemed to drag and battle.
It was partly helped by popping a diclofenac first thing, which helped enormously with the deep ache in my left foot, however another big help was the beautiful and varied scenery, and more interesting walking tracks.
Leaving Drymen you head through a forest and then hike up, just on the northern side of conic hill summit. This affords stunning views up Loch Lomond, and is the first full sight of the iconic lake and its islands. Though it rained early in the morning the day cleared and maintained sunny right through until late evening.
Once again back on a major trail means a lot more people, and significantly more than were on the Pennine Way. Last night at the campsite I was informed about a bothy further than Rowardennan, so pushed on to that tonight. As I write this I am sitting on a log by the open fire while the rain patters outside.
The trail after conic hill dropped down to Balmaha, where I had the best flat white that I've had in weeks. I also managed to send off a job application and do some online maintenance. The track winds along the edge of the Loch, with beautiful beaches changing from pink sand, to gravel, or rocks. I was so chipper after my lunch break that I strode along sing "You'll take the high road, and I'll take the low road, and I'll be in Scotland afore ye! But me and my true love will never meet again, on the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond" much to the amusement and/or enjoyment of other walkers. It was a real joy to feel the return my true enjoyment of the activity, with bursts of downhill jogs, and satisfyingly puffing up steep climbs.
After a rest at Rowardennan I did push on to the bothy, arriving warm enough to brave a quick dunk in Loch Lomond, which was VERY brisk, but well worth it
Loch Lomond

Balmaha Bay

Look how happy I am!




No comments:

Post a Comment