Tuesday 11 June 2019

Edinburgh to Falkirk (2 days)

Getting started again has been a little rough - I thought the rest would do me good, and it surely did, but it also got me out of habit.

Two days out from Edinburgh now, walking along the beautiful Union canal. I was fortunate last night to follow a recommendation to try the Winchburgh bowls club for a rest and recharge (pub was closed for reno!), as it got me yet another characteristic evening of mad conversation with the locals. The accents were pretty strong here, but to be honest the subject matter was just as incomprehensible at times. One gentleman held me captive with assertions of historical inaccuracies and the definite truth of the Loch Ness monster, while his companions in The Monday Club rolled their eyes.

Last night I wild camped, and foolishly walked through thigh high nettles to reach a good spot. Thus far I had been scathing of the weak nothern hemisphere nettles, but en masse they managed to do their job. To get back through in the morning I simply wore my waterproof overtrou - why didn't I do that earlier!
Tonight I am much more comfortable, in a real campsite, having had a hot shower, and a hot meal, and relaxing on a comfy couch all evening.

Highlights today include crossing the Avon Aqueduct, Scotland's highest at 26m, and singing in a tunnel over 600m long, that canal and towpath passed through together.




No comments:

Post a Comment