Monday 29 April 2019

Aylesbury to Oving

Socks and sandals seems to have improved the condition of my feet, to the point that I voluntarily took a major detour today in order to visit Quainton, a village across from my destination.

Two highlights of this village caught my eye, a windmill and a church. The 1830s windmill is currently closed, but has recently been refitted with sails, and according to one source has been refurbished sufficiently to grind flour.

The church mostly dates to the 14th century, and is in a style similar to many churches I have seen in the Buckinghamshire area. This church had an important difference, however. It was open for visitors. I may not be much of a Bible person, but I do love churches. This is the first church of such age that I have been in (without hundreds of tourists), and I can't get over the quiet sense of love in the ancient weathered stones. Each pew held a number of leather backed cushions, each uniquely embroidered with cross-stitch designs.
Alone in the church I sang through Schubert's Ave Maria. As expected, excellent acoustics.

I didn't take an exterior photo of the Quainton church, but the Oving church below is much the same style.
Oving church, of a similar vintage and design as the Quainton church

Oving churchyard

With feet feeling a bit happier, I particularly enjoyed field crossing routes today (despite one or two wrong turns, and stand-offs with cattle). Picture me gleefully stomping through long grass and dandelions, and maybe you'll get why I wanted to do this mad trek.

View from the Black Boy Pub c1600

No comments:

Post a Comment