Tuesday 16 April 2019

Kensington Palace

While one part of Kensington Palace was closed for installation of a new exhibit, it was still a very enjoyable visit. As in other historic palaces, such as Hampton Court, there were a few actually in period costume to supply information and atmosphere.

Carved organ cabinet


Not a bad life, being queen

Of all the decorations I've seen in historic buildings, I think tapestries are my favourite

This Georgian-era gown is called a mantua - its flat surface is designed to display the fine quality of the silk brocade, while the width and quantity of fabric demonstrates wealth


The King's Gallery - besides the paintings and the ceiling mural, there is a beautifully made wind dial, which is connected by chains directly to the wind vane on the roof

1 comment:

  1. I love those floaty frilly sleeves. I should have been born in the Georgian or Regency era. (but only if I was rich and had access to 21stC medicine and women's rights)

    ReplyDelete