Saturday 27 April 2019

Me and my Tent

So last night was my first night camping, as no other accommodation was to be found (within my price range). As it stands, the campsite cost £17 ($32 nzd), which I would consider extortionate if it wasn't for the heated floor in the shower room.
My tent is a Kathmandu Mono, weighing just 1.73kg. Long enough for me to lie in comfortably, it wouldn't be much good for anyone over 170cm. My pack was able to fit down by my feet, when things have been removed from it's sides, and generally speaking I had enough room for all my bits and pieces - while horizontal.
It is very quick to put up, even on your own, which was fortunate as it began to rain as soon as I had it erected, with me throwing my pack and ukulele (gently) inside as I finished.
The difficulty comes because even the higher end of the tent is not tall enough to sit up in, which makes organizing your belongings very... tricksy.
Points for the tent, it stayed dry inside, despite wind and rain that threatened to blow the whole thing away (wind gusts up to 50km/h). Unfortunately, the wind did seem to sneak under the fly and blow through the inner. I must have looked like a little gray and orange slug, tucked in my sleeping bag with the hood closed around my face, only my nose and one ear exposed.
Needless to say I didn't sleep all that well, despite my sleeping bag being perfectly warm. I'm just not used to sleeping on hard ground, and not sure I'll do enough camping to adapt. Oh well, needs must, and at least now it's proved worth the extra weight to bring the tent.
Lack of sleep has made today's relatively short 10km seem a lot more difficult, and my feet more sore, despite general improvement in the blister department.
It can only get better from here right?

PS. Very proud that I managed to fold and pack the tent in gusty winds this morning!

2 comments:

  1. I guess there will be plenty of tough days to come, but surely even more that are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete