Sunday 12 May 2019

Blackwell to Edale

I'm taking a rest day here in Edale, trying to convince my feet to resorb the new blister I foolishly allowed to form yesterday (lesson learned, when possible change to dry socks). Climbing the ridge and then descending into Edale provided spectacular views down the valley, and a glimpse of my route tomorrow, where the real challenge begins...


Today I have lazed about in a cafe (not worth it) and purchased new socks and hard copy maps for the Pennine Way, now I have transferred my lazing to the pub, for the benefit of power and internet.
I also dropped in at the church, which is quite different to many others I have seen so far. Built in the 1880's it is much newer and therefore architecturally distinct, and is also built of the locally sourced gritstone. I was lucky to arrive in time to be given a cup of coffee, and discuss some of the features with a member of the Church. Notable aspects are windows designed by Sir Ninian Comper, marked by his signature strawberry motif, and a Blue John chalice and plate set donated to the church in 1985. Blue John is a stone mined in nearby Castleton, only occuring there, and according to the locals it was much loved by the Romans - examples of it turning up as far afield as Pompeii. Wikipedia states there is no evidence of the Romans ever having mined Blue John, but that's not exactly a reliable source either.




No comments:

Post a Comment