Monday 6 May 2019

Tilton to East Leake - 2 days

I skipped the update last night in order to save battery and data - expect that there may be a lot more radio silence over the next few weeks, as I am camping a lot more, and then will be starting the Pennine Way.
The hot shower at my AirBnB was a glorious thing after 2 nights "freedom camping". I'm going to have to toughen up if I expect to see this through I guess - although at least real campsites have showers, and possibly phone charging points.
Little has changed in the way of scenery in the last few days. The rolling hills are perhaps a little higher, and more tightly spaced than when I was in Buckinghamshire, so it's harder to see the next town as I'm walking. More of the churches have spires though, rather than towers, so sometimes I can see it rising above the trees, guiding me towards the next cluster of houses.
Three Cottages BnB in Tilton-on-the-Hill, I did not stay here


Disused phone box put to good use - a library

Do you lichen my photo?

I know, I'm from New Zealand, I shouldn't find lambs cute anymore. But just look at them! Didn't even wake up when I went by.

St Mary's Parish Church East Leake - zoom for detail on the beautiful clockface

One thing I haven't touched on so far is the system of gates that allow passage across private land. These vary from new installations in shiny steel, to wooden styles that I'm unsure will take my weight. Generally speaking they are well marked with either a yellow post or small way markers. Along footpaths the gates are often designed to only allow foot traffic - round trap gates that I can only just fit through with my pack. On bridleways the gates are mostly fitted with high handles that can be operated from horseback, and then hinged, sloped, or weighted to close by themselves. My favourite system of all is pictured below - a simple arrangement of a chain with a heavy piece of metal (generally broken farm machinery), that pulls the gate closed - very number 8 wire.
Even the chain is a recycled dog tether

No comments:

Post a Comment