Friday 10 May 2019

High Peak Trail (Alderwasely to Blackwell - 2 days)

Trying to get in a quick update while I have free pub WiFi. Much of yesterday and half of today has been didn't along the High Peak Trail, nearly 30km of cycleway/bridleway across the Peak District. As the land has become steeper erosion had brought her bones to the surface, making this area prominent in quarrying. Light railway was used for transport in the past, and this forms the cycleway now. Steep inclines were managed through a winch system with double rails to allow a descending carriage to counter balance the ascending one. Cyclists are advised to dismount to come down the incline, but I bet there's a few reckless who wouldn't (dad...).
Just my luck, a large section of the track yesterday was out of commission due to works on a collapsing tunnel and a damaged bridge. This meant more walking along roads, and getting wet feet in my socks and sandals - my shoes were still soaking wet from the day before!
The manager at Newhaven campsite kindly allowed me to put through a load of washing and hang out all to dry inside, however much was still damp so I can only hope there will be somewhere to hang them tonight.

Black Rocks - a natural gritstone outcrop near Cromford

Horizontal wheel drive the cable to take and lower wagons up the incline
Ratcheted drum (left end of pit) can move entire wheel apparatus forwards and backwards to maintain tension


Rail line come cycleway raised high above the fields in places

Limestone exposed in the hill (some rocks are actually sheep)
This hut called a kazun was a gift from Croatia in 2013, to celebrate joining the EU and recognise a shared culture of "dry stone" building. The walls are made of local limestone, showing why this area is called the White Peaks. 
I would highly recommend anyone to do all or part of the High Peak Trail, especially on bikes if the whole trail is available. I had lunch at The Rising Sun in Middleton yesterday, and have only wonderful things to say about the lovely bar manager and the excellent burger I had.

PS. Finishing this past from another pub - after the last 2 days I decided I need to feed myself properly. Campsite tonight is Beech Croft, and it deserves a mention as the best value site I've stayed at. Facilities are clean and modern, and campers have a shelter with microwave and coin-operated coffee machine. All this, and free WiFi, for only £7.50. Compare this to £15-18 at similar sites, the only cheaper one (£5) was very VERY basic. As an added bonus the local pub does a pick up, drop off service to the campsite if possible - Brilliant!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome - I could be tempted to cycle that! Jess

    ReplyDelete