Monday 20 May 2019

Shoes (H-in-R to Hawes)

The route from Horton-in-Ribblesdale to Hawes must be the simplest on the Pennine Way, at least so far. Following a farm track out of the village, turn west and head for the ridge with the clearly visible Roman road. None of the original cobblestones seem to remain, but the road is characteristically straight. Head West of the summit and curve down into Hawes.
This fortunately meant that we wandered into town around 2:30, and gave me an opportunity to finally look into replacing my shoes. Back in London I had bought hiking shoes from a shop called Mountain Warehouse, as my boots had caused an achilles tendonitis. When I had been looking for shoes last minute I had struggled to find shoes that had a wide fit and thought that these bargain shoes fit well. Unfortunately I have been plagued with blisters from the very beginning of my hike, which I thought would be expected for a little while but they never came right.
These shoes, marketed as "iso-dry" seemed to soak through quickly and never dry inside, and when it was hot they retained moisture from sweaty feet. Since starting the Pennine Way I have found that they also allow me to feel every rock I step on directly, and I just don't think I need to experience Mother Earth quite that closely. I also think that I needed a slightly larger size, despite trying the shoes on with thicker socks than I've been wearing, as feet definitely swell when hiking.
Goodbye shoes

Here's hoping the new shoes at twice the price even 50% off will be slightly better, given they're at least a brand of known quality. I will refrain from mentioning the brand until I'm ready to comment on their performance.
Ling Gill bridge
ANNO 1765 THIS BRIDGE WAS REPAIRED AT THE CHARGE OF THE WHOLE WEST RIDING




1 comment: